Objectives are a great way to track improvement of a situation or context while segmenting that improvement. They become our North Star and keep us aligned as a team so that everyone is working towards achieving them.
Typically, an objective is defined by an inspiring and evocative statement (think of it as its name), as well as being time-bound. Since an objective can easily be big and ambitious, it can be interesting to break it down into smaller steps to make it easier to reach a greater goal. Just as breaking down your user stories allows you to deliver value more quickly and continuously, setting achievable short- or medium-term objectives supports continuous improvement.
Create an objective in Axify
- Access the project for which you wish to create an objective
- At the top of the page, click Create new objective.
- Complete the fields.
- Name your objective. As mentioned previously, this name should be an inspiring and evocative statement.
- Determine an end date, i.e. the date by which you wish to achieve this goal. Be careful to set a realistic time frame to support the achievement of your objective.
- Select the metrics that will be used to track the progress of this objective. We recommend selecting 2 to 4.
- Next, determine the desired percentage of variation for each metric, either positive or negative. For example, you might aim for a 10% reduction in overall cycle time or a 15% increase in the number of comments per code review.
- To finalize the creation of your goal, click on Set objective at the bottom of the page.
You can now follow the progress of this objective from the Summary page of your project!